A conversation long ago

Back in the 1970ies, when I lived in North Queensland, Australia, I befriended an old English couple, Bob and Edna as I recall.
He was an industrial chemist by profession, but also an entrepreneur, then long retired.
In the late 1930ies Bob and Edna owned a hotel in the holiday town of Brighton on the English south coast where they interacted with many people.
Having an interest in the Great Depression and subsequent war, I asked Bob about the prevailing 'feeling' when it became evident that war was about to break out.
I was taken aback by his answer:
"We welcomed it" he said. "People began talking to each other again". A common enemy, excitement, patriotism.
A way to escape the mundane daily life of the depression. Jobs everywhere, industry cranks up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a hunch

Metaphysical speculation

Smelly cities